So I have been processed sugar free for about a week now and I have had good week. I haven’t really noticed any changes or symptoms, and it has been fairly easy to do. I think that I am blessed not to be working at the moment, as this allows me the time to cook healthy foods for breakfast, lunch and tea. I have continued on with my gym workouts and haven’t as yet noticed a drop in energy levels. I think the first big test will be in the next couple of weeks as we have 3 family birthdays and Easter!! I will share with you how I plan to get through these special times with yummy ideas that are processed sugar free.
This week I thought I would share one of the first recipes that I made after quitting sugar in Australia. It comes from David Gillespie’s book ‘Eat Real Food’, but I have added a few things to it. It’s definitely one of my family’s favourites, and my daughter loves to get in the kitchen to make and taste test it!
Here is our version of David’s TV chocolate slice.
Robert’s family chocolate slice
1 3/4 cups plain flour
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 cup rice malt syrup
200g butter – melted
2 tablespoons of flaxseeds
1/2 cup dried cranberries or fresh raspberries
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds or sunflower
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees, line/grease a slice tray
- Place all dry ingredients into a bowl and mix them
- Place butter and rice malt syrup into a saucepan and melt
4. Add butter and rice malt syrup mixture into the dry ingredients
5. mix to combine and place into the slice tray and bake for 15 minutes
6. Let it cool a little then cut into slices
7. Put the kettle on, make a tea or coffee and enjoy!!
Photos taken by my daughter.