The food area I have been struggling with while living in Jakarta is after school snacks for my teen kids. They walk in the door after school and the first thing I hear is –
So here is an idea I came up with to help with the after school munchies!
My Crepe mixture
- Flour (wholemeal or white)
- oil (coconut or olive)
- Place all the ingredients into a bowl and mix.
- Add more milk if batter is too thick
- If batter is lumpy give a quick mix with a hand blender.
- Heat some oil or ghee in a frypan and spoon in batter – spread it out to make thin crapes.
- I have discovered that I can make them in my sandwich press with no extra oil or butter needed and they cook in a flash – no sticking!!
I usually make a small amount as it goes a long way. If the kids are still hungry it only takes a moment to make more batter. The amounts I have given are based on 6 large crepes.
This will depend on your child and what they like.some ideas are –
- Fresh fruit, yoghurt and muesli
- Grilled banna and yoghurt – add a sprinkle of cinnamon
- Ham and cheese
- Bacon or chicken, cheese and tomato … and pineapple
- Salad veg – tomato, cucumber, carrot, lettuce, herbs etc…
- Marinated meat and veg
There are endless combinations – be creative!!
You can put the ingredients out and let the kids make their own. I’m sure they will come up with combinations you never thought of!!
I have also used the same ideas for a quick evening meal.